Friday, December 13, 2013

The Problem of Physical Medical Records and Silent Diseases (revision of Ch 7 excerpt)


Knowing of Dustin’s disease and shortened life expectancy since the age of three, I grew up well informed about myotonic dystrophy.  Or rather, I thought I did. My father told me soon after Dustin was born that my brother was likely to die before I did.  As a three year old, I doubt I understood much of what that really meant, but Dustin’s condition and outlook were never a secret from me.  I knew my brother needed open heart surgery soon after birth, required help breathing in the first three months of his life, had a feeding tube for the first six years and wore oxygen in his nose to bed until he was 11 or so.  I knew myotonic dystrophy gave my brother weaker muscles, that he had inherited the gene from my mother and that I was likely unaffected based on my good health and academic success.  It seemed I knew quite a lot about muscles and genetics for being so young.

Growing up I grappled with the proposition that my brother was likely never to walk.  I went along to multiple doctor visits to evaluate Dustin’s ‘club foot’, a condition I didn’t know the technical term for, ‘talipes’, until 15 years later.  I knew my brother’s feet curved in a way that caused his toes to curl in and under towards the arch of his foot.  I remember reading in the hospital waiting room as Dustin underwent surgery for a third time to tighten his Achilles tendon to correct the bend of his feet and enable him to walk.  The doctor let me feel the mold for Dustin’s leg braces before it were to be cast. In caring for a severely handicapped child, it is important all capable willing members of the family are knowledgeable in how to assist in the daily exercises to build strength and gain skill, and that the family members feel excited and important in assisting the handicapped child.  In subsequent visits, I was taught how to put the braces on Dustin, tied his shoes over them, lead Dustin to the rail, and helped him take steps. 

In one visit where the doctor wanted to train the family to teach Dustin to walk, I wondered if my brother would let me help, or if I would be any good in helping my brother to do something he had never before been able to do.  I approached the room my brother was in tentatively, wanting so much to be a part of helping my brother to walk, to be more like me, to overcome the odds and nervous that Dustin might not let me help.  Luckily, he was in a good mood and receptive; when I walked into the room and said his name with open arms to go hug him, his lips raised in a smile, he brought his hand to his mouth, shot his legs out in excitement, and gurgled in delight, welcoming me in the activity as if what the doctor had done was a game. 

I smiled at my brother, and playfully called him by his nickname: “Hey udey-dude.”  Dustin seemed relaxed, and apparently the doctor approved as he placed the brace in my hand.  In my left palm I held the smooth back of the brace which was molded to my brother’s leg, curved and smooth.  In my right hand I held the flat based that would go under his foot.  The inside was molded to his foot, but the outside was formed to create a solid base and felt more like an odd type of dress shoe.  I rubbed my thumb on the inside where the ball of my brother’s foot would sit.  It had a crisscrossed pattern across it to create friction and prevent slippage.  The brace was impressively light and durable.  I raised the brace to my brother’s foot, slid his heel deep into the corner of the brace, moved my left hand to cover the front of his leg and hold the grace, then took the bottom Velcro in my right hand, pulled it over his foot, and secured the Velcro tightly onto the other side of the brace.  I pushed his calf against the back of the brace securely and began to take the bottom strap diagonally to the top Velcro catch, then crisscrossed the top strap to the bottom Velcro.  Dustin’s foot was secure and he didn’t seem to mind the brace. I eagerly took his already loosened shoes, maneuvered them over the brace and his foot, and carefully tied his shoe over the brace.  I had gotten to practice the steps of strapping my brother into the brace and tying his shoes over them before; however, today was going to add another step I had not yet been allowed to do.

 I felt my chest leap with excitement as we lead Dustin to the rails.  I held my brother’s hand, smiled at him and placed his hand on the rail.  He let out a breath which hissed in a tone between excitement and caution.  His hand said he trusted me, but his eyes widened as he looked down at his feet and realized how high up his head was compared to when he sat on the floor.  His scrawny legs were weak and wobbly, awkwardly small amid his large knobby knees and bulky braces.  The physical therapist in the room reached down to move Dustin’s leg, one at a time, and my brother stepped about three feet with the therapist moving his legs, me holding just above his hips, and the doctor watching.  It felt like a success and for a while my young heart thought anything was possible. 

As a child, I was told about myotonic dystrophy in cautionary, optimistic tones.  The adults around Dustin wanted me to care about my brother and be hopeful, but they didn’t want me to think the answer to Dustin’s troubles were like something that Santa was going to deliver after flying to my roof and climbing through my chimney.  When the doctor wanted to train me to help Dustin walk, I was partially seen as a resource who could assist in getting Dustin daily practice and repetitions.  I was an eager young girl who believed in her brother getting stronger without the limits of logic or the experience of seeing someone get weaker instead of stronger.  I was youthfully and eternally convinced that my brother could learn to walk.  I think the doctor was partially willing to involve me in the process so that I didn’t hurt my brother by trying on my own without training. 

As Dustin passed infancy and grew from a toddler to a young child, his body seemed to become healthier and more durable.  His vitality and capabilities increased with time.  By the time of the attempts to get Dustin to walk, he no longer needed his feeding tube, but could feed himself with a spoon or fork.  He no longer needed oxygen and could communicate with varying pitches and tones in most vowel sounds and a large range of consonants.  Dustin was able to wheel himself to the balloons at Wal-Mart, interact during recess at school, and scoot anywhere in the house using his arms to push his bottom forward. While his obstacles at birth were severe and life threatening, his prognosis seemed to be ever improving as he outlasted life expectancy predictions and progressed in ways doctors said he never would.  Learning to walk seemed like the next logical step.  All the news that reached my ears seemed to be good news and besides when he was sick, I had only seen my brother get stronger over the years; even when Dustin was sick, I’d be told with the right medical attention, he would be ok. I began to think that with enough prayer and willpower, anything could happen if God were willing. 

I wished fervently for my brother to be able to walk.  I prayed for him nightly, threw quarters in wishing wells, and was diligent in helping him wear his braces and insisted on constant walking practices with him after school.  I would stretch my brother’s legs, rotate his ankles, do resistance exercises and help him practice standing.  However, it didn’t take long before Dustin didn’t enjoy wearing the braces much, and sometimes I would want to practice longer than he was comfortable.  My 10 year old brain was convinced my brother was gaining strength and would one day be able to walk because he had broken so many limiting expectations in the past.

At times I would hold Dustin’s hand next to a rail, at others I would have him hold onto my waist and we would walk together.  After a while, our public school built an apparatus which was basically a long flat board with side supports and hand rail on either side so Dustin had a platform to walk across.  He had a stander at school, and various walking assistance equipment.  At home, when Dustin would seem as if he were done walking, often I would have him stand leaning on the couch.  My fifth grade logic thought this good practice, that standing after he had worked the muscles would build good endurance and lead to muscle strength. I wanted my will power and effort to be able to change the predictions on the limits of my brother’s potential.

Dustin would lean with his forarms resting on the edge of the couch.  He was tall enough that he would bend at the hip, his waist jutting out awkwardly from side to side as he rotated his balance.  His knobby knees would dwarf the size of his calf muscles, which looked like flabby flat skin hanging loosely from his bone.  The braces seemed to double the width of his ankles and extended almost half way up his leg.  He had to wear high top sneakers with the braces, which were filled to capacity and were laced tight to hold the shoe in place.  Occasionally, even with the braces, his ankles would give as he adjust the weight around his hips and he would stand with one foot flatly on the ground and the other would have rolled so that most the side of his shoe touched the carpet.

After the third surgery, my brother again seemed to be defying odds and was able to stand longer and even began to show some definition in his calf muscles.  However, with his muscle condition, my brother’s feet did not quite look like mine, even after a third surgery.  The weak muscles would not hold the tendon tight, and his feet again began to curve in.  His braces became a discomfort, and weren’t fixing the problem or giving my brother a stable surface to stand on.   So, we took on more stretches and foot rotations, trying to build strength in and around Dustin’s ankles so the tendons would straighten.  Sometimes, I would add extra stretches in before bed or before school when Dustin woke up. I persisted in practicing standing and walking with my brother.  Three surgeries would be a waste without appropriate practice.

I was watching my brother stand at the couch a few months after his third foot surgery when my father came home from working at the water treatment plant on Hill Air Force Base, in Utah .  My father was dressed in his fatigues and had the usual sweat and dirt on his uniform from a hard day’s work. Dustin was standing, bent over on the hip with most the weight resting on his arms against the back of the couch, grunting in a whining tone and shifting his weight uncomfortably.  My father saw my brother, recognized his discomfort, and asked in a startled voice, “How long has he been standing there?”

I had wanted my brother to practice, and as a young child, even as an adult, I am not gifted in understanding other’s limits.  I’m not sure how long I had my brother standing there, but I knew he wanted down, and I know I didn’t want to let him, because in my mind practice, determination, and positive thinking lead to physical growth and strength.  My brother had no graceful harm-free way to let himself down from standing next to the couch without simply crumpling to the floor.  My father walked at a quickened pace over to where my brother stood, bent over so his knee was on the ground and wrapped one arm under my brother’s legs and one arm around his back.  My brother immediately embraced his father, reaching desperately around Randy’s neck and letting his frail body fall into my father’s strong embrace. Randy carried Dustin over to his favorite toys in the living room, placed him gently on the floor, and began to play puppets with my brother, having Mickey ask Dustin how his legs felt as if it were part of the game.  I watched as my father’s tired and tight muscles relaxed on the floor next to my brother’s tired and flaccid muscles, watched their joy in playing and enjoying their moments together.  I knew something in what I did was wrong.

After my brother went to sleep, my father explained that Dustin’s body was different, that the surgeons were trying to help Dustin walk by enabling his feet to look and stand the way mine did, but even after that, Dustin’s muscles would have to grow strong enough to hold his body weight and he would have to learn the skill of walking.  It was going to be a long process.  I had to be gentle with my brother.  Tough practice wasn’t going to make his body like mine; Dustin was just built different from me and for that I was very fortunate.  Dustin was never going to run as fast as I did or try to practice pushups with his feet propped up on the coffee table in the living room to try to win a grade school Presidential Fitness award.  The way I thought wasn’t going to change my brother’s muscles and I could really hurt him in trying.

At that age, I was bigger than all the boys in my class, finished fourth in the mile out of all the top runners, and was routinely picked first or second when all the boys got together to play recess football.  If I tried harder, I did better; I was strong and I was big.  For a month before the fifth “President’s Physical Fitness Challenge” I ‘trained’ at the house doing push-ups using the coffee table as an incline, pull ups in dad’s closet, trampoline jumping acrobatics, and gave targeted attention to the V-Stretch, my usual lowest score.  Limits, in my young mind, were obstacles set to be mentally broken by those tough enough to push through pain.  I thought because my brother had defied so many odds and expectations with good health in the past that with the right mind set and unfaltering effort he could be pushed into walking.  However, pushing my brother in the way I pushed myself didn’t bring him to walk, and my blind optimism and stubborn determination brought him pain.

As the months passed after the surgery, it became obvious that the progress was temporary and that my brother’s feet would continue to curl back to where they were or worse.  The doctors thought about taking muscle from his knee or shoulder into his ankle, but in the end the process and training was ruled too painful or futile to be worth the higher risks. Each year of my brother’s life, my father’s military insurance deductible had to be paid in full.  Perhaps there were surgery types available that could have helped Dustin walk, but with the financial bills we already had and the rates the insurance company was paying the hospital, our money was not going to buy Dustin a cutting edge experimental surgery.  There would be no more corrective surgeries or medical attempts to help Dustin walk on his own.

 The special education department at school still had time for Dustin in the stander, but he practiced taking steps for shorter periods and eventually it was generally accepted that Dustin was not ready to walk and would probably never walk unassisted.  When the military changed my father’s assignment and moved us to a new school district, Dustin did not have a walking training program that focused on steps, but instead focused on him standing longer periods.  My brother’s progress was no longer going forward with walking and instead the focus was shifted on making his arms strong enough to maneuver himself in his wheelchair.

Most who are born with congenital myotonic dystrophy and survive to age 10 can walk.  However, Dustin’s mere survival was laughing in the face of known medical odds.  Dustin’s myotonic dystrophy carried so many repeats of the wrong protein triplet on chromosome 19 that he didn’t really fit medical textbook cases, or there were enough additional birth complications that there was no simple comparison.  When he was born in 1989, there weren’t many children who survived birth with myotonic dystrophy as severe as his, and I have never met another as severe as my brother.  The muscle disease often creates weak enough hearts that infants don’t survive outside of the womb.  My brother had successful heart surgery right after birth.  My brother turned blue from lack of oxygen almost immediately after birth, and infants with myotonic dystrophy often cannot breathe on their own.  However, Dustin had grown strong enough to only need oxygen at night when he was sick.  Many children born with severe congenital myotonic dystrophy simply don’t survive except by stroke of miracle or luck, or the improving medical services available and good staff.  Perhaps now, over twenty years of medical advances later, I could find more children like my brother, or perhaps with early detection that type of child is still rare because more are aborted in utero than born in the modern era.

My brother had constant medical attention from an experienced doctor at Wolford Hall Military Hospital.  The military moved our family strategically close to the best Air Force Hospital available.  In Salt Lake City, Dustin had a team of doctors, and a university research hospital paid us to bring Dustin in for additional studies involving graduate students and sleep studies.  Dustin was treated by well informed, well paid, highly intelligent, caring individuals and he thrived in those circumstances to become a healthy and happy young man who did not need oxygen, a feeding tube, or overnight medical stays for years at time.  His severe case helped rewrite the medical research as a living example of a genetic mutation that cause most to die in infancy and was a brilliant success story of modern medicine and prayer. 

My mother, however, fought the creeping slowness of adult onset myotonic dystrophy in oblivion, away from all the geneticists, large military hospitals, or graduate work research.  She was diagnosed with myotonic dystrophy soon after Dustin was born by a simple handshake.  Myotonia is a condition where the muscles have trouble relaxing after contracting.  If my mother shook someone’s hand, she would have to physically push her palm back into place or wait a long time for it to return there itself.  Myotonia is not present in congenital myotonic dystrophy, but if a child survives into adulthood, the hand release difficulty of myotonia appears.  My mother had it.

My mother was diagnosed in her medical records as a carrier since 1989; she would be affected by the disease more and more as time went on.  While my father was still in the military, when we were around the best medical care, my mother’s disease did not have overt affects.  My father retired from the military in 1999, three years before Dustin passed away, and thirteen before my mother died.  Dustin’s medical records were extensive, multiple huge folders worth.  When we lived in Utah, the last place my father was stationed, we had most of his records, but some of the earliest were lost or discarded.  My brother had a large enough file that no doctor could go through all of it, nor would they need to.  His disease was obvious.  When my father retired from the military, the family medical records were sent to the National Archives.  If we knew more, we could have kept them, or requested all of our records.  We didn’t.  Dustin regularly saw a doctor in Kansas, and the records from the last hospital were requested and sent.  He lived in one city for the rest of his life.  His medical care was good enough.

My mother, however, did not have her full medical records when she was taken to the hospital in small town Larned, Kansas.  From Larned, she had to wait over two hours for an ambulance to take her to Hays Medical Center. Hays Medical Center did get the medical records from Larned, but that apparently did not include the diagnosis that my mother had myotonic dystrophy. 

 
I've been told this was the first, or one of the first times I got to meet my brother - in a mask in a hospital.

No comments: